Juggling all the aspects of my life with some baking, writing and good old fashioned ranting thrown in

Tuesday 10 July 2012

My pretty little Lumix

Last night, me and the Other Half went camera shopping. I'm very glad I had done some research and looked at reviews and detailed specifications before actually going to buy it. The staff had very little knowledge about the cameras or their features. It took them about ten minutes to actually find the camera once we had made our selection!

We chose the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1, which I already described a bit on my previous post so I shan't bore you with a repeat of the technical specifications. Having only seen pictures beforehand, I was pleased to find it just as sleek and pretty looking in reality. Its a perfect size for my purposes; comfortable to hold yet small enough to fit nicely in my bag or pocket.



I apologise for the terrible quality of this photo. It was taken with my camera phone, which is rubbish. Hopefully it still manages to convey the loveliness of new camera though. But enough of how pretty it is, I should really note how great the pictures it can take are too!

Below is a little test of the picture quality.

Taken by the Samsung Galaxy Ace phone's camera
Taken by the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1

I know extremely little about photography so my review of this test will be very basic. I think the differences are pretty obvious. The colours look washed out and really dull on the camera phone picture. Everything's much crisper and more vibrant on the SZ1 picture. I think it could probably do a lot better actually but I haven't found my way around all of the features yet, of which there are many. My last digital camera just had landscape, macro or normal. The SZ1 also has baby mode, through glass mode (for nosey neighbours, one assumes), panoramic mode and many more. I've had a very short test of the HD video capture with really good results. We were keen to get a camera that also took good videos as we like creating videos to send to the Other Half's family, since they live far away. Its a nice way to update them on how we're all doing. Or rather on how the Little Monster is doing! The vast majority of photographs taken in this house are of her. As soon as she spots a camera, she insists on having her photo taken, such a little poser! 

All in all, I'm thrilled with my new camera. Hopefully, it should mean a more exciting blog too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment