Juggling all the aspects of my life with some baking, writing and good old fashioned ranting thrown in

Monday 30 April 2012

Nearing the end...

I suppose the title of this post could be seen as slightly more morbid than intended. To clarify, I am nearing the end of my second Open University course, AA100 (The Arts: Past and Present). It's quite exciting to think that once I've completed the final assessment, I'll be a third of the way through my degree. 

This course has been very interesting in places but not really my cup of tea in others. I very much enjoyed looking at historical texts and learning about philosophy. I did not enjoy analysing art. Don't mistake me, I like looking at art. I enjoy thinking about, and perhaps discussing, what the artist was thinking or what message they might be trying to convey. But analysing art in an academic sense simply bores me. University essay questions don't seem to ask how a painting made you feel and, for me, that's entirely the point of art. 

For my End of Module Assessment, I have chosen to answer a question about pilgrimage and sacred places. It will involve looking at Stonehenge and Glastonbury, two places that have always fascinated me. I may not be a pagan or believe in ley lines but I can appreciate the mysterious wonder of Stonehenge and the cultural and historical significance of Glastonbury. 

Once this course is over, I have a few months free of studying before my next course, Creative Writing (A215), begins. I plan to read as many novels as possible over the summer to get some inspiration for my own work. I have already been asking around for recommendations as I don't want to just read something that I would usually pick up off the shelf. I really want to expand my tastes to give me a wider view of fiction. 

Studying with the Open University is proving to be a great experience. It's keeping my mind active while I'm at home with the Little Monster and forcing me to do something that does not involve childcare and housework. It gives such a good sense of achievement when essays come back with good marks. It really is something I would recommend to anyone who wants to extend their education, whether it be for a career or merely for one's own sense of fulfilment.  


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, I can't imagine how difficult it must be trying to fit in study around looking after a little one! What an enormous sense of achievement when you've completed it though. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, A215... fabulous course as is the follow-up A363. I thoroughly enjoyed them and only wish (money-permitting) there were more!

    ReplyDelete